Friday, September 4, 2009

TY-POON



It is in my nature to be interested by freak natural phenomenon. Probably because of my university background and the interest I’ve always had for anything remotely resembling a natural disaster. I remember freaking my friends out when I told them I couldn’t wait for my first earthquake. Just when they thought I couldn’t be stranger, I go and tell them I would enjoy having survive to a ‘Big One’. One where I could help with the rescue of my poor neighbors trapped under the rubble. And then they would give me the keys to the city, and then I would go on the Today show and marry Carmen Electra. You know what I’m talking about, right?

Anyways, we are indeed in typhoon season now and the typhoon number 11 (Goldorak or Morrdakk or some stupid name) promised to be a big one. The TV people kept talking about it, my teachers were talking about it. I started to get pretty excited!

‘Man, a typhoon! And they say it will come in around Sendai… And I live near the coast! Yes!!!’

My excitement only got better when I got an e-mail from the Canadian embassy telling me to be careful, to stay away from coastlines and to expect pouring rain and high winds and to watch out for landslides… YEAH! Kickass, a landslide! I wasn’t asking for so much!

It started raining at like 2 pm. When I left school at 5, they told me to be careful and that they might call me if the typhoon makes too much damage and that I might have to come in later than usual.

‘My oh my!! This all sounds like a great time… I can’t wait!’

So I told my friends I’d be on my balcony looking at the spectacle, waiting for the disaster to happen! Well at 10 pm I got bored, it was just steady raining since the afternoon. I went to bed and woke up at every hour, on the hour to maybe witness the end of the world. At 2 am, it wasn’t even raining no more. What a load of bullshit. Woke up at 6, everything was… normal. I went to school under the sun and asked my teacher (Mr. Shoji):

‘Hey, what the hell happened with that typhoon?’

His answer:

‘It went away’

AWAY???!!! What the fuck man? It’s not a stray cat. It’s not a cold sore. It doesn’t just GO AWAY!

‘It flew away’, he repeated.

Well I’ll be damned, I guess that in Japan, a typhoon is just a weird bird or something. After the FIASCO that was the solar eclipse, I get screwed over with a typhoon now. Bring on the earthquakes, because last time I checked, I still wasn’t married to Carmen Electra.

6 comments:

Mom said...

Le vrai typhon japonais a été l'élection d'un homme de gauche après 50 ans,c'est le monde a l'envers.Les écoles gratuites,l'aide aux démunis etc,tu ne reconnaitras pas ce pays dans 20 ans

Angela said...

Superb blog entry, as usual.
So where were you during the "Ice Storm"?

Anonymous said...

Mais qui sait PY tu va surment en voir et vive eu et tu vas etre tres decu....
Mais reste quand meme que ca doit etre quelque chose assez spectaculaire.
Bisous
France

Thunderstorm said...

Sorry PY mais pour la tornade, arrête de la chercher! Je crois qu'il en aura plus jamais de tornade.

C'est triste mais notre ami Clermont est devenu très sage. Tsé l'autre gars dans l'équipe du Cirque du Soleil. Oui, celui qui faisait des réceptacles?! Mais là, il n'est plus des nôtres.

Luc, le frère de Florence, incarne maintenant son corps...

Caro said...

Crisse t'es drôle! Je crois que c'est plutôt un PY-POON qui frappe le Japon!
Je t'embrasse Mister Electra
Caro xx

Anonymous said...

Hahaha, you're hilarious!

Thanks for popping by my blog, loved the surfer-clip.
Will be back for sure!!